Sunday 7 March 2010

For me, to live is...

What a great weekend! Our annual 18 – 30’s weekend (MOBILISE EAST) is always a great event and this year has been no exception. To see around 150 young people worshipping God and zealous to be radical in their devotion to Jesus, is awesome! This years’ guest speakers were Sam and Marlene Poe who are great examples of a radical couple who have taken many bold steps in life and ministry over the years, and in fact are just now embarking on a fresh adventure as they go on from here to Zimbabwe where they will be living for several months, serving the churches.

Of course, every age group is equally important in church life, but as a church leader, I count it a particular privilege to have this Mobilise age group in the mix because there is little doubt that these are the years when important choices are made that can affect the trajectory of the rest of ones life. What will be the motivating factor in the big decisions of life – money, success, comfort, self-indulgence?? Of course, those things get dressed up in very attractive garb and are well able to grab us and set the course of our lives, but they are not enough! We were made for more! I am eternally grateful for the discomfort that God graciously laid on me back in my early twenties, causing me to realise early on that living safe and for self would never be enough.

The apostle Paul says it best: It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me Galatians 2:20.

For to me to live is Christ! Philippians 1:21. Any other priority in life is just never going to be enough – whatever age you are!

Thanks MOBILISE for the provocation, or should I say reminder - us older guys know about radical too!

Goff

Labels: ,