Monday 5 April 2010

Don't miss it!

I have recently been getting into the routine of visiting the hospital every day, Monday to Friday for a dose of radiotherapy. As one who has never been particularly fond of the inside of hospitals (who is?!), I am none the less grateful for the NHS and the excellent medics who work day in & day out under quite pressing workloads. I am also grateful to a band of excellent friends who I know have been praying for me through this.

What I have become very aware of through this time is that each day gives me a brand new opportunity – an opportunity either for gloomy self pity or alternatively an opportunity for a fresh joyful infusion of the grace and goodness of God.

Which to choose…?! That really ought to be a very easy decision to make, but the strange thing is that for some perverse reason, the temptation (and I use that word deliberately) to opt for the gloomy option continues to have some appeal. Ridiculous! What fool would choose that option?

God’s word for us on this is found in Hebrews 12:15: See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, What this means is that there is ample, fresh grace available for every situation we will ever face. The issue is, will we make sure that we avail ourselves of it? I believe with every fibre of my being that God’s word is true when He says to us "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9.

Let me encourage you to join me in making sure that not one day slips by, not one opportunity is missed to avail yourself of God’s fresh gift of grace to help and transform any and every situation. It’s a battle well worth fighting for!

Don’t miss it!

Goff