Friday 8 August 2008

Running for Gold

With the Beijing Olympics starting today, I’ve no doubt that many preachers worldwide will be drawing their inspiration this weekend from the Olympic spirit – and I am no exception! The apostle Paul was, of course, the first to liken the Christian to the Olympic athlete, and it’s an apt metaphor. ‘Run for the prize… Run with determination… Run so as not to be disqualified… Run to win, and so on.
The Christian life IS a course to be run, a fight to be fought, but before we get too heavy here, remember that central for Paul was the immense inspiration and motivation that the Olympic athlete gets from the prospect of winning gold! Unfortunately it seems to me that this is largely lost on Christians today for two reasons:
Firstly the ‘here and now’ is often comfortable enough and attractive enough to take most of our attention.
Secondly the future hope of Christians is often confusing and conflicting enough NOT to draw much of our attention.
When I preach today (yes, Friday in the Middle East) I will be making sure that I articulate the prize very clearly: Yes, the trumpet WILL sound; the skies WILL be filled with glory like lightening; we WILL see Jesus coming in great glory; we WILL be changed – and it will all be in a moment (1Cor.15). And the Bible tells me that that moment could be at any time and that I should eagerly hasten and anticipate it!
Maranatha, Come O Lord! What a hope! What a prize!

See you in Norwich, Sunday, God willing!

Goff

Labels: ,