Monday 19 April 2010

A father's perspective...

Please allow me a rather personal blog this week on account of the wedding of my daughter Ali at the weekend – and what a weekend it was! The sun was shining, the sky was blue, my daughter looked wonderful and (I’m feeling that this ought to rhyme, but I fear it wont!) she was marrying an excellent guy, Dan, who clearly loves her and God. Perfect! Isn’t that what a father prays for his daughter almost from the day she is born? As I stood there at the ceremony next to Ali singing “Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Saviour..” I didn’t really try to hold back tears of great joy!

There are many parallels that I could draw with God’s Father heart for us, but I will focus on just one. I have prayed regularly and passionately for Ali about this day throughout her life, strongly desiring her good and her happiness, and then feeling so delighted to see her so clearly blessed. How much more does our heavenly Father watch over us, plan for our good, and delight in our happiness?!

I think that I caught just a little glimpse more of the Father heart of God towards us this last weekend as I took great delight in my daughter’s happiness!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
- Jeremiah 29:11

Goff