Sunday 29 August 2010

What's your story?

We always used to think that August was a ‘flat’ month as far as Sunday meetings go, especially the Bank Holiday weekend when everyone seems to be away. Not anymore! We have had some outstanding times this year with great preaching on the theme of the resurrection, awesome worship and lots of people!!

Amongst other things, we sang a hymn this morning (Evan style!) that took me back to the days of school assemblies: I will sing the wondrous story of the Christ who died for me.. Remember it? The refrain of the chorus goes: Yes, I’ll sing the wondrous story…. And it got me thinking.
I was travelling this week (Copenhagen & back) and threw a book in my bag entitled: “The Drama of Scripture” by Craig Bartholomew & Michael Goheen. Usually I read a page or two and then the hassle & distractions of a short flight take over & the book gets put aside. Not this one! From the moment I read the following, I was riveted:

‘In order to make sense of our lives and to make our most important decisions, we depend on some story. Some story provides the broader framework of meaning for our lives…. I can only answer the question, “What am I to do?” if I can answer the prior question “Of what story do I find myself a part?” Wow – that focuses your thinking! Read on…
‘Is there a true story of the whole world in which I am called to live my life?... What is the real story of which my life is a part?’
This book is a must read for any serious minded Christian or enquirer, but back to this morning’s hymn!

Yes there is an astonishing story into which my life (and yours?) has been woven, into which God has graciously written me a part, and it’s a story that God crafted before time began. It’s a story inspired by divine love that worked its way powerfully and providentially through the centuries to the climax of the Christ who died for me.!
And it is this story, yet to be concluded but of which we know the outcome (listen to James’ preaching from this morning!) that must define the life and choices of every Christian.

It is said of our post-modern culture that no one believes in a big picture any more, that there is no overarching story, so people just live their own self-centred little dramas. How small. How sad. How hopeless – literally. But God has, in Christ, presented mankind with a wonderful story of astonishing hope, help and happiness – and that is why I was so gripped by that old hymn, and challenged to see that my life is caught up in the greatest story ever told.
So yes, I most definitely will sing the wondrous story of the Christ Who died for me!!

Goff
(Goff now Twitters!)