Tuesday 12 October 2010

Coffee matters!

I was speaking with a guy today in the city (Norwich that is!), and when we got to the subject of what I do & where I work, it didn't take long to make the connect with the King's Centre... "that place down King Street with a glass frontage..?" "Yes", I replied, and invited him to come and have a cappuccino on the house. It reminded me of the years I dreamed of a local church right in the heart of the community that was accessible and very inviting, because church never used to be like that!

When we got the premises in King Street, in pursuit of that dream, we teased out the question: "What do we want the shop window of Kings to be?" Now I remember the days when you had to circumnavigate heavy, squeaky doors and thick curtains just to get into a church building - how inviting is that?? Shop windows always say something about what & who's inside, and what does that say? So I was determined that our shop window would say something like: "friendly", "inviting", "sociable", "enjoyable" because I firmly believe that the church should be good news as well as tell good news!

Now, 10 years on, The King's Centre is a very busy place - every day - with literally hundred's of people, all sorts of people coming & going, and our shop window is a coffee shop, "King's Coffee", making it the easiest thing in the world to come in. And that's just how it should be! And as well as a warm welcome from Mel & her team, the coffee is great too - I know because I've appointed myself as the head of quality control, which means that I just have to check it every day!

Today I'm grateful to God and living the dream - part of a church family that it's great to be a part of, enjoying a shop window into the city that is inviting, welcoming, serves great coffee (and more!), and that says something about the amazing grace & goodness of the God we serve!

Keep up the good job Mel - but no chocolate on my latte thanks!

Goff