Sunday 25 April 2010

An important choice...

Choices, choices, choices – we are surrounded by choices; from the brand of goods to buy to the colour of politician to vote for, we are bombarded with competing voices vying for our attention. Which to choose? You may well have become a little jaundiced in your view and feel that it really won’t make much difference which ????? you choose, and you could well be right! But there is once choice that many of us are faced with every day that does make a very big difference to our lives.

You don’t have to look very far in order to see that we live in an increasingly fear-ridden world. For some reason it would appear that deep in our being lies a fear sensor that constantly scans our personal horizon, looking for possible scenarios to be anxious or fearful about. And news editors know this only too well and take great pleasure in capitalizing on this in built attraction. Just look at their favourite words: ‘Catastrophic…’, ‘Disastrous…’, ‘Fallout…’ and so it goes on. As a result, many today are living fearful lives – even if they do dull the reality with pills or Happy Hour.

One of the most frequently used phrases throughout the Bible is the imperative “Fear not!”, and whenever it appears, good reason is given as to why one should not / need not fear:

"Fear not,… I am your shield; your great reward." Gen 15:1
“Fear not, for I am with you and will bless you..” Gen 26:24
“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you” Isaiah 41:10

And here’s a favorite: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” Isaiah 43:1

And all of these are promises that every Christian can claim as their own, because they do indeed, belong to God.

It seems to me, as I face some challenges of my own, that we are faced with a crucial choice every day that really does matter: Will we live in fear or in faith?

Henri Nouwen puts it more vividly: Will we choose to live in the house of fear or the house of the Lord? Will we surround ourselves with those fear inducing “what if’s” or will we choose to surround ourselves with God’s presence and promises?

"I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant." - Psalm 34:4

Yes please, that’s my choice!

Goff