Sunday 21 November 2010

Unashamedly an optimist!

I was with a good friend of mine yesterday who is facing a significant challenge just now. Having faced some challenges myself recently I know something of how that can feel, and more importantly, what a wonderful opportunity those moments can be for us to discover God’s amazing grace, presence and help. And it is just as well that the Bible doesn’t instruct us to sort ourselves out first before we can find God - quite the opposite! Toby was preaching this morning on that awesome invitation of Jesus “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” or if you prefer The Message: “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matt 11:28-30.

I am challenged by those words of Jesus (and Toby - download it!) because all too often Christians come over as being intense, uptight, verging on stressed! Of course, if you’ve been anywhere near King’s lately you will have noticed the emphasis on joy and celebration (thanks Evan!) and rightly so! We are , after all, hugely privileged people with amazing promises hanging over our lives.

Someone recently described me as being an optimist. I like that and take it as a compliment! After all, what’s the opposite - a pessimist, and who wants to be known for being one of those? Not that I was born an optimist or have always been one - far from it - like many british males, I can be as withdrawn, introspective (even a tad melancholic) as the next. But as I say, we have wonderful promises hanging over our lives because of what Jesus has done for us already, and what he has promised us for the future. In fact, Martyn Lloyd-Jones thought that every Christian should be an optimist. I quote:

Every Christian must be an optimist. You never know when God is going to appear, you never know when the Holy Spirit is going to descend, you never know when Christ is going to deal with you and remove your burden and give your soul release. Just when you are about to convince yourself that the night is going to be endless - the dawn breaks; just when you feel sure that the struggle is all in vain and that your fighting is useless - just then, and when least expected, you are rewarded with victory.

Have a really good week!

Goff