Monday 10 May 2010

Waiting...

 

Sitting in a waiting room this week, watching a 24 hour news channel, I got into conversation with the person next to me who observed that the volcano in Iceland had at last been pushed off the top news spot, to be replaced by the election coverage. One lot of hot air for another, I flippantly commented. We both felt tired of the non-stop barrage of repeated headlines that those channels churn out. "This is doing my head in…. how do you suppose you switch channels…?"

You get like that when you spend a lot of time in waiting rooms watching the same item over and over again, believe me! I've sat in the same waiting room at the hospital every weekday for the last 7 weeks, awaiting treatment – and it's nearly over. Just 3 more days, 3 more sessions, and it's over.

May I a say a big "Thank You" to all those who have been such a big support, standing in for me here & there, putting up with my slightly distracted state of mind, and of course, praying for me. All very much appreciated.

 

But back to the waiting room briefly - your world shrinks somewhat in those circumstance (literally, as you just can't travel far) and the things that really matter become more obvious as you watch and chat a little with people facing varying degrees of uncertainty in their lives. And on the subject of uncertainties, with no outright winner in the election, uncertainty seems to be the order of the day wherever you look – except that of course, as a Christian you are able to buck the trend in the sure knowledge that there is nothing haphazard, circumstantial or unplanned about your future. But there is a 'waiting' that I don't believe we are as actively focused on as Scripture says we should be…. waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ. Titus 2:13.

Personally I make a point of looking at the sky every now & again, and saying to myself: "one of these days……….! Now that kind of waiting is very energizing, inspiring and motivating!

 

Have a great week

 

Goff