Sunday 28 November 2010

Sing a new song!

A really helpful and practical word from Mike Betts this morning. This issue of perspective, of seeing things as they really are, keeps coming up at present - and how vital it is! How easy it is for an anxious thought, or a disappointment to wreck our day. How easy to take your eye off the ball of what really matters, and ending up the loser. (I trust that wont happen to Norwich this afternoon against Ipswich!).
Mike’s first point from Psalm 96 on how to keep clear vision was: Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth! in a word - sing, and make it a fresh, new song of who God is!
I have long been absolutely convinced of the powerful effect on God-centred, Jesus glorifying worship - and not just on a Sunday. What a difference it makes, any time, any place, to sing, to ascribe greatness to our God. Of course it’s not always that easy or convenient - you’d look a little odd bursting into song on the train or in the supermarket, but there is something to pursue & fight for here.

Sam Storms put’s it like this: Singing enables the soul to express deeply felt emotions that mere speaking cannot. Singing gives focus and clarity to what words alone often make fuzzy. Singing sensitizes. It softens the soul to hear God’s voice and quickens the will to obey. I can only speak for myself, but when I’m happy I sing. When I’m touched with a renewed sense of forgiveness, I sing. When God’s grace shines yet again on my darkened path, I sing. When I’m lonely and long for the intimacy of God’s presence, I sing. When I need respite from the chaos of a world run amok, I sing. Nothing can do for me what music does.*

Me too! And so I fight for time alone at the start of each day to worship, and I use every means to fed my spirit with songs of praise - iPod, cd’s or just humming!
So why is it that this makes such a difference? I believe it’s because this is what we were made for: to glorify God and to enjoy him forever!

I’d encourage you to muse on Psalm 96 some more - and try it!

Goff

* ‘The Singing God’ by Sam Storms