Friday 12 June 2009

Working together in Copenhagen

Angie & I are here in Copenhagen for the weekend to once again spend time with our friends at Copenhagen Community Church (CCChurch). We began with a leaders meeting yesterday evening and we have quite a packed agenda for the next few days, including a brief visit to Malmo, Sweden, on Saturday. Having said that, there’s no question in my mind that we won’t have a lot of fun along the way! Josef has put a strong foundation of friendship into the church here with the result that they enjoy eating together and generally enjoying one another’s company almost as much as we do at Kings – so tonight we have a social with the leaders and their wives. Great!
Jim Drew and Jon Mullender arrive shortly to help with some of the administration and publicity needs here, so there will be quite a gang of us here from Kings!

This is so much a part of our vision as we do church; we are friends on a mission together, and that is very New Testament. Just think of the language of the New Testament… ‘my dearly beloved..’, ‘who I long to be with..’ I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy.’ or how about this one: But, brothers, when we were torn away from you for a short time (in person, not in thought), out of our intense longing we made every effort to see you. 1Thessalonians 2:17.
The church is not an institution, it’s a family, it’s people from every walk of life and every nation, whose lives have been impacted and changed by the grace of God discovered in Christ. And He is the One who is gathering and building His church across the nations. Just the other day I was speaking with my friend Byron in Beijing, and shortly Josef and Elin will be returning to Turkey, tomorrow will be a new experience for me – my first time in Sweden, and so it goes on!

I love being just a small part of this - the most significant endeavour in the whole universe: God’s redeeming purpose in a broken world, saving and restoring, healing and transforming, and bringing together a people, a family, for the praise of His Glory! That’s the Church!

See you next week,

Goff & Angie

Labels: